Monday, 22 October 2007

Crystal Garden - Flash/Peach Fuzz Forest

Crystal Garden - Flash/Peach Fuzz Forest (Bay Town BT012. 1968)

Here's one I should have posted a long time ago! Better late than never....

Out of San Leandro in the East Bay area of San Francisco, this psych band started out playing the local high schools and battle of the bands before moving onto support slots at the bigger venues in the bay area, including the Fillmore.

They recorded this, their only 45, for the small Bay Town label in Hayward, CA. (who also released gems by the Cave Dwellers and the Soultons). Presumibly taking the song title from the line in Dave Diamond and The Higher Elevation's 'The Diamond Mine', this is an excellent fuzzed up wah wah psych with a cool jazzy break. The b-side is slightly more reserved, but cool none the less.

The band split shortly after playing Oregons bizzare state-sponsored Vortex I festival in 1970.

For more info on the Crystal Garden and other East Bay garage bands pick up a copy of Bruce Tahsler’s excellent "The San Francisco East Bay Scene: Garage Bands From the 60’s Then and Now". You can order a copy direct from Bruce here.

6 comments:

Jennifer Dietle Niles said...

hello - my father david dietle was the bass player for crystal garden...

guinevere said...

Hey my dad was the drummer for this band, so nice to see that people are still into this stuff. R.I.P. dad

Oliver III said...

One of the best tunes I've ever heard in my life! hard to get some of this here in Spain but keep on trying

thanks for posting!

Jennifer Dietle Niles said...

guinevere - I would love to get in touch with you and i am sure my dad would too. it would be great to connect with someone that is related to someone that very important to my dad. If you ever see this, please contact me through Facebook.

Clint Ferreira said...

So funny. my dad was the lead guitar player for the band and wrote that song.

Clint Ferreira said...

I have that 45 on my mantle. My dad wrote the song